Monday, July 19, 2010

OUR GEAR PICKS FOR SUMMER

Marie's picks:
- Kayland Apex rock mountaineering boot; After 10 years with Meindl,(which I still have), I decided to try a lighter hiking boot, versatile, rigid but comfortable. Kayland delivered on all the above. So far, it has thumbs up for me.

- Thermarest NeoAir mattress - I cannot remember last time I had a 'great' sleep outdoors, unless I collapsed from being exhausted after a long hike and could basically sleep anywhere. Well, we splurged this year and each got "the world's most advanced engineering in ultralight comfort" from Thermarest. It is worth the price - the matt inflates to a good 2 inches thick, the large one weights 1 pound 3 ounces, and packs down to the size of a 1 litre bottle - it is SO comfortable, I couldn't go back to a regular air matt now. It is also the winner of many outdoor awards, and we can definitely see why. If you do any type of overnight backpacks, or any other types of overnight outdoor trips, you will love this mattress.

Outbound Acapulco beach chair - this mesh chair is amazing, not to take on backpacking trips (a bit too heavy) but with friends by a campfire, or at the beach - it is very comfortable because it has arm rests and the frame is steel so more durable.

Mountain Hardware Butter topper - this is a winner for me. I'm always cold, so this piece of gear for me is awesome. Lightweight, wicking, fast drying stretch fabric with a hoody, extremely soft - I've been wearing them (I have one in every colour...)all fall, winter and spring, even this summer on colder nights. I do not leave home on trips without bringing one.

Deuter Futura Pro 34 SL - Deuter has figured out that women need a pack to fit a woman's body. What a difference, this pack felt so good on even before I adjusted all the straps. Their pack colours are great too (not that fashion is that important in the middle of nowhere - but it is nice to have such great selection). We have a special on with women's backpack: buy a women's fit SL pack from Deuter and receive a free gift (pack rain cover, or fanny pack). You can see my pack on one of the pictures below these posts.

Mike's Picks
Tecnica cross training shoes - Tecnica has produced a new style of cross trainer built with a rolling sole so as to transfer your energy more efficiently when you are running. These shoes were built for trail running but can easily be used for the road as I do. They are also a great choice for those of you who have to stand or do a lot of walking at your job. This is the best pair of shoes of this type that I have ever bought, the cushioning in the sole and insole are to die for. Once you try a pair on you wont take them off.

Buff - What is a Buff, no you are not hiking naked, maybe that guy I saw a number of years ago hiking in the buff got it wrong, and there were many mosquitos, ouch. A buff basically is a tube of micro-fibre designed to fit over your head in many different ways to transfer perspiration away from your skin and to quickly evaporate. It can also be worn under a helmet or by itself for extra warmth in those colder days. It has now become an essential part of my pack list when I go out. For those of you who watch survivor this is where the Buff became famous as that is what all the participants are wearing.

Suunto Vector wristop computer - I am really excited about this one, it has been many years since I have had an altimeter watch, and so far I am very excited about the new Suunto. We have just received them in the store and after only two weeks of owning mine I am very impressed. This watch has a compass, barometer, stop watch, altimeter with log features and a few more options, plus it is water resistant to 30M. The settings are easy to adjust and simple to use.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on the Kayland boots. I love 'em. Dan

    ReplyDelete